Students are best supported when the student, teachers/staff and parents/guardians are all working together. To that end, parent/guardian input and questions are both welcomed and encouraged.
If your student is struggling in one or more classes, it is important to consider the following and compare notes between the student’s report and teacher’s observations:
How often is the student turning in work on time?
- Does the student have missing assignments?
- If the student doesn’t understanding an assignment, is the student seeking help from the teacher before/after school or during break?
- How much effort is the student putting into his/her work?
- If the teacher gives students the opportunity to retake tests or rewrite papers, is the student taking advantage of those opportunities?
- Does the student consistently follow directions when completing assignments, ensuring that all requirements are met to achieve the best grade possible?
Speaking with your student about the above, then connecting with the teacher(s) and getting the teacher’s input are important first steps in identifying potential strategies to help your student be more successful!
To contact your student’s teacher(s), login to Family Access, then click on Gradebook, and then click on the teacher’s name next to the class you want to inquire about. A window to send an email to that teacher will open. Contact information is also available on the district directory.