Emergency transportation routes are used when road and/or weather conditions make it unsafe to use regular routes. Conditions in Greenbank, Coupeville, and other district areas may differ significantly; the district will choose the safest option for the most hazardous conditions.
The district communicates changes to school schedules or bus routes by:
- emergency phone/email notifications to all families and staff,
- a public service announcement on television and radio stations (look for Coupeville #204, Island County),
- the district Website home page,
- Facebook posts.
- Schools closed. Schools are closed for one day; no before or after-school activities. Year-round employees report to work.
- One hour late. Schools open one hour later than normal; students are dismissed at the regular time. No preschool. All employees report to work.
- Two hours late. Schools open two hours later than normal; students are dismissed at the regular time. No preschool. All employees report to work.
- Limited bus transportation. Students are picked up and returned only to emergency stops; schedules may be affected by weather conditions. Parents must transport their child to the closest alternate bus stop or to school.
- Early dismissal. Students are transported to their regular or emergency bus stop earlier than normal dismissal. Each family should have a plan covering what to do when children arrive home early.